Thursday, March 10, 2011

Horton Hatches the Egg


We started this craft on Dr. Seuss' birthday - but since its paper mache it takes a while!

I had never read the book 'Horton Hatches the Egg'.  It's really cute!  The kids enjoyed it and learned the value of holding to your word, just like Horton.

"I meant what I said
And I said what I meant....
An elephant's faithful
One hundred per cent!"

So we made the egg that Horton so faithfully tended too.
I mixed up water and flour to a goopy consistency and helped the kids apply strips of gooped up paper to their balloons.  Matthew did not want to do this craft.  He did not like the feel of the mixture and thought it was all together too messy.  Jillian enjoyed the mess!


They took a few days to really dry, then we painted them red.  We waited another day for that to dry and then added the white spots.


As soon as the eggs were complete the kids wanted to CRACK them open - they knew that I had stuffed some treats for them inside the balloons before I blew them up.  The eggs had no chance to survive knowing there was candy inside.




To me, it seemed sad to see the eggs destroyed as soon as they were finished - but it's the experience right?



Linking up to Sun Scholars

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, how fun! I love it!

    Thanks again for sharing at the For the Kids Friday Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! Have you ever done something like this for Easter?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Great minds think a like Monica : ) I was thinking it would be fun to fill the balloon with some treats and have them paint a paper mache Easter Egg - stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...